Brought the wood. Got the Boot.
The Hogs finally did it! An SEC victory after two years of competing in the toughest division in all of college football. It’s been a long time since Petrino’s fall from grace, JLS setting the program on fire, and Bielema asking us to believe in the program despite a 9-game losing streak to finish the year.
This season was different. This season, Arkansas stomped every non conference opponent like it belonged in the SEC West. The Hogs lost five more conference games, but all the losses were against top ten teams in which the Hogs were competitive (only 15 points between Hogs being 5-5 and 8-2).
The close games hurt. The Hogs were tired of moral victories. And last night, against #17 LSU, and breaking an 17-game conference losing streak, the Hogs won 17-0. It was destiny.
I was so ecstatic and emotionally spent not long after the victory. You know the worst part of it though? Haters.
This is a post dedicated to the haters. You’re not going to rain on my parade. Not on this team’s parade, and not on this state’s parade, either.
- Bitter LSU fans – Sucks to suck! We’re no longer the worst team in the SEC West. You are. Because you lost to us. Oh, what’s that? We suck because we couldn’t win in the SEC? Then don’t lose to us. (Note: Most LSU fans I’ve encountered on the internet have been nothing but class acts, so you know I’m only talking about a particular 5% of the fans)
- Arkansas fans who think they’re too good to celebrate – You can’t rag on the fans being excited “like we just won the championship” and storming the field because this victory was a long time coming. We won a conference game, we beat a ranked team, we beat our rival, we pitched a shut out, and we won. We deserve this.
- Jealous A State fans – Still think you can compete with us? Care to revise that letter you sent to Jeff Long detailing which Arkansas/A State units had the head-to-head advantage? Because you literally lost to Louisiana Lafayette.
- The SEC higher-ups who moved the Battle of the Boot away from Black Friday – The Battle of the Boot will always be exciting, regardless of how good or bad either team is. And you just missed out on it. Meanwhile A&M keeps losing. This is what you get for ditching tradition. Screw you.
- People who hate Bret Bielema (Not you, Alayna) – He’s not the most eloquent, or cool, or anything of a coach. But he has inspired this team and this state to believe that we can achieve more than our doubters think. He is not the coach Arkansas deserves, but he is the coach we need right now. Our future is bright.
Now that I got that out of my system, I will resume my celebration! WPS.